Jonno came to AV-DC for upgrades to his Lexus IS-F. The standard Mark Levinson sound system is quite advanced from the factory, but like many OEM systems lacks depth, detail and dynamics.
After discussion with Jonno, AV-DC worked with the following criteria:
- Speakers were to utilise the standard 3-way mounting positions – except for tweeters
- The OEM sat-nav was to be retained
- The boot was to retain full usability
- Excess drone from the performance exhaust was to be controlled.
…Along with AV-DC’s installation Best Practices.
Jonno wanted to select some of the best components to work within his constraints, and chose the following:
- DLS Gothia 6.2 components – 6.5″ carbon fibre midbasses, 3″ silk dome midranges, and 1″ silk dome tweeters
- Arc Audio PS8 processor, to optimise signals from the OEM amplifier for active amplification of the DLS speakers
- Two Arc Audio XDi804 amplifiers – separate channels for midbass, midrange and tweeters
- Focal Bus25 subwoofer (supplied by customer)
- Shok Mats sound deadening
- Shok Industries wiring and power distribution.
AV-DC built a panel to mount the electronics for the system beneath the parcel shelf, upholstered in matching black carpet, and utilising OEM mounting points. The factory A pillar fabric trim was carefully removed, fibreglass housings for the tweeters added, and the pillars re-upholstered in the same OEM fabric, for an unquestionably factory finish.
In this installation, the DLS Gothia speakers conveyed a warm, dynamic soundstage with incredible presence and detail. The Arc Audio PS8 processor allowed for a fine degree of tuning, to give the soundstage it’s fantastic height and focus.
Shok Mats sound deadening throughout helped with midbass dynamics, and to minimise the drone of the performance exhaust while on the highway – making the music even more enjoyable!